- New food donors!
- New food recipient programs! We now provide food for:
- St. Francis House, a homeless shelter in Downtown Boston. (We bring them fresh produce straight from the Copley Farmers’ Market!)
- Vinfen’s Woodbridge program, a group home for adults with mental illness
2 group homes for teens operated by Cambridge Family and Children’s Service
the Friday Cafe at First Church in Cambridge
- Lyne Daycare in Somerville, an early education program serving low-income families
- We’ve collaborated with Cambridge Community Center and Harvard University Dining Services to help create The Coast Kitchen, a free community meal for all. The goal is to deepen neighborhood connections, offer a healthy meal, and take advantage of the new resource available through our Prepared Foods Rescue program. Over 50 people came out to enjoy the first meal in the series, and 100 attended the second. We’re excited for what the future will hold!
- Have you seen us in the news?
- Sasha appeared on WCVB’s CityLine [click to watch!] to speak about wasted food, food rescue, and Daily Table Dorchester
- The Boston Globe covered our food rescue at Harvard’s commencement
- Mother Nature Network included our Prepared Foods Rescue work as one of “5 cool initiatives that are slashing food waste”
- TIME named our food rescue work in a list of 5 Amazing Strategies to Eliminate Food Waste and Feed the Hungry
- ThinkProgress called Sasha “a Robin Hood of sorts” (while also clarifying that we don’t steal food!)
- Or maybe you saw two of our supervolunteers: Lelah Willoughby farms at Field of Greens every week and was profiled in the Boston Globe, while Kati Sigel, who’s helped with benefit events, the Ride for Food, and Field of Greens, appeared in the Belmont Patch
- We’ve got three new staff members:
- Meet our new Operations Director Ryan Lee! In this short interview, he tells us about running the Walk for Hunger during his time at Project Bread, teaching in Azerbaijan, and how he ended up in Boston after his stint in the Peace Corps.
- We have two new friendly faces on board our trucks: Donald Collins joins us as a regular driver, while Tony Leva can be seen on the trucks as a part-time farmers’ market driver.
Read the rest of our Summer Newsletter!