- New food donors:
- Google has joined us as a Prepared Foods partner, and we’re now picking up surplus meals from their Kendall Square office’s storied dining area.
- Chipotle in Central Square is now contributing surplus Prepared Foods.
- Trader Joe’s in Needham has joined us as a Produce Rescue partner.
- New food programs & partnerships:
- We’ve launched our Family Meals program with deliveries of fresh, individually portioned meals for homeless families sheltering in an Allston hotel. Sign up to help!
- In April, we helped launch the Falcons’ Food Project at Cambridge Rindge and Latin School.
We will be supporting the Falcons’ Food Project by delivering fresh, healthy fruits and vegetables and other rescued items each Friday to go home with students over the weekend.
- New volunteer opportunities:
- Volunteer to ride in our Ride for Food—registration just opened! (Riders fundraise for our Food Rescue programs throughout the summer, then enjoy a gorgeous fall bike ride with the rest of the team on September 25th.)
- Volunteer at our kitchen to help transform rescued Prepared Foods into individual meals for Family Meals. Since this program is so new, we need lots of helpers—this could be you!
- Volunteer on-truck to help deliver to our Home Delivery clients—we’ve opened up some new on-truck shifts!
- Food For Free in the news:
- Many readers shared this Spare Change News feature: Food For Free redistributes Harvard’s extra meals
- The Boston Globe covered our school-based programs: How to help fight childhood hunger? Open a market inside a school
And Youth Today published this editorial by our own Sasha Purpura: Partnering with Schools Reduces Hunger Among School Kids and Families