Food For Free is hiring a part-time Program Assistant for our Family Meals program. Family Meals re-purposes prepared foods into single-serving meals for people with limited access to kitchens. The Program assistant will 1) serve as a kitchen assistant; 2) provide general support to the Program Manager. This position is 15 hours/week initially, increasing to 20 hours a week in the near future. The Program Assistant will report to Family Meals Program Manager.
Areas of Responsibility
- Meal Preparation: Assist in producing approximately 500 meals per week.
- Food Safety: Ensure food safety practices in all aspects of food handling throughout meal preparation.
- Volunteer Management: Work with the Program Manager to recruit, schedule, and manage volunteers in the production of meals each week.
- Food Rescue: Assist in rescuing food from local university dining halls. Identify and sort rescued food suitable for the Family Meals program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to social justice, and food justice in particular
- Interest in feeding families in need
- Experience in food service industry
- Servsafe certification (can be acquired shortly after hire)
- Ability to work on your feet for several hours at a time
- Ability to lift 40 pounds repeatedly during a shift
- Comfortability managing and working with volunteers doing meal preparation
- Ability and willingness to drive a cargo van in an urban environment a big plus
- Ability to think on your feet and problem-solve
- Maturity and sound judgment
- A warm and professional demeanor
- A high level of organization and time-management skills
Send a resume and cover letter to Program Manager Fiona Crimmins via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.